Saturday, June 5, 2010

This heat is kicking my (ass)ets...

I tried to run at 4:00pm this week (it was the only time in the day that my mother in law was able to watch the baby, So I had to get my run in, regardless of the heat.) Lets just cut to the good part and tell you all how I dry heaved and suffered a massive migraine after my 1.45 MILE RUN. (1.45 miles should be fairly easy at this point, but it was hell. Utter hell. Fire and brimstone, gnashing of teeth, I-want to keel over and die right here on the hot pavement-hell) I was planning on running 4, but ended up walking my happy butt back to the car and feeling like I was going to vomit the rest of the day. Serves me right. What sort of idiot runs during the hottest time of the day!! IN VEGAS?! This idiot!
anyway...

I did find out, however that running at 7:00am was not much different. We ran today (Jessica, Eliza, Amy & Myself) and I was DY-ING! We all were DY-ING. We decided that if we want to do any kind of "training" for our marathon in August, we'd better get ready for early morning runs. Like butt crack of dawn 5:00 in the morning kind of runs. ughhhh....

How's your running going?

Mines not that awesome lately.... I'm not gunna lie.

I got an email this week from Candice, bragging (in a good way) about Jessi's 8:30 pace. She's worked hard for it, but it doesn't make my pathetic pace look any less pathetic!

*By the way, I'm super proud of you Jessi. You ROCK. I can't believe how far you've come and you're like seirously a-mazing! You go with your 8:30 pace girl! ;)
(it's not about that though right? paces and such. It's about getting out there and ignoring your thighs rubbing against each other creating a really embarrassing heat rash, and it's about the joy of popping that blister on your pinky toe when you get home-because your shoes are pieces of shit now and all you could think about was whether you'd be able to find some Mizunos on sale!! It's about sun burnt shoulders and running off that half rack of ribs and mac and cheese from the previous supper. Not paces!) Sheesh!

This is what I think about when I run. Ribs, blisters, shoes on sale and the fact that the tiny dot that WAS Jessi is but a distant memory now because she has totally smoked me so badly that once she finished, she circled back around to find me walking-trying to find a good song on my ipod. I was so far behind her at this point that she raced back to find me thinking surly I'd been murdered! But I was just taking a leisurely stroll and was about to collapse from this awful Vegas heat...not getting raped or murdered today. No need to be alarmed. I'm just tired, hot and lazy! No biggie.

And so is the mind of this runner.

Tomorrow is a new day, and a new run, and maybe I'll be able to beat Jessi's pace-or match it someday, but right now I'm gunna go pop me some wicked blisters!

*Big Ups to Eliza for running her first five miles today.
You killed it girl

11 comments:

  1. Geeze Chels, Thanks for the support on my pace! ha. It definitely feels good to have my hard work pay off and be noticed :) But it's not like you're far behind.
    The first time we ran this trail, I wantted to die, I ran in front of a moving train, and you helped me finish the whole thing. You and the rest of the girls are a great support system and our improvements aren't without each other.
    Next week let's hope for a run without heat exhaustion-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until next Saturday! But here's an important thought out there for everyone too...when you start running, it really isn't about your pace or how far you can go in comparison to everyone else. It's all about you. The great thing is that running (although it seems simple enough) is more than just putting on a pair of running shoes and moving your legs fast to get somewhere. It's about the accomplishment of it all. Let's not forget our Red Rock run when Chelsea came in CLAPPING with a smile on her face and her cute pink racer back, looking like she could run another 13 miles. The improvement we each made was incredible and the friendships we made was priceless. I know all of you reading this probably think we are nuts because it's run, run, run but these runs and these accomplishments have been some of the best memories that I will ever have and when people begin to reach their goals and accomplishments to, you feel like you had a part of it and you become so proud! So... uhh... I think I have written way too much, but I hope everyone comes out there as much as they can and ... along with reaching goals, we burn toooonnnnsss of calories too, so smaller thighs are always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I want to celebrate your pace and cheer you on! You deserve it. I think we all have felt proud of one another when we look back at the first time we ran 3 miles and I would NEVER have imagined that getting up at the butt crack of dawn to run 8 miles would ever happen. Especially me LIKING getting up that early to do it!

    you're totally right Candice. Once I stopped focusing so much on the fact that I was ALWAYS the one who was in the back and everyone else was ahead of me-faster than me (and still are faster!), i started enjoying it more.

    It's amazing how emotional you can get-just by running. when we were training at red rock and i ran my first 8 miles, I remember hugging you guys afterwards and being so happy that I balled like a baby.

    Can't wait to see you guys out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea for a blog! Can't wait to read more!!

    And for all bloggin runners out there, today there's a chance to be the next featured runner on my blog! I'd love your input! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! I am training for a marathon and have one more month to go. My knees have been giving me a bit of trouble around mile 14 so I am hoping to add some cross training into my workouts. Keep up the running ladies!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Miami heat here is killer as well. Doesn't entice anyone to work out :( And now I'm leaving to cuba so I'm sure that's going to be even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you commented and hence I found this blog. I need serious motivation to run. I try but always get tired too soon. Will keep up with you guys! :) and learn how to do it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your blog<3
    I am your new follower!

    XO Lynzy
    http://fromskirtstoskillets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Future sister-in-law is a runner.
    I envy her so bad for it too. I've always wanted to be able to run, but I just can't do it.
    I don't understand the breathing thing
    I dont know how to breath correctly
    Im sure its something that really comes with training and practice!
    Im soooo jealous!

    GOOD FOR YOU
    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete
  10. After I ran 7miles this morning I'd figure I'd stop in and see if there was anything new! But I've got to say that number one I can't believe I'm running that many miles, I never thought in a MILLION years that would happen, or that I would ENJOY running, and be getting up VOLUNTARILY at 5am in order to keep up my running!
    When I first kept seeing your guys' updates when you were training for Red Rock I was like man I need to get my ass out there!! I knew since your miles were high, I needed to get a running base before running with you. So I started w/ 2miles, and slowly worked my way up. The first time I did 4 miles I thought I was gonna die, I was going up hill so slow I probably could have walked faster!! I found a novice training schedule, and made it to 5miles. The first time me and Chelsea ran 5miles together I was nervous, I was afraid I was gonna suck, or get discouraged because I knew I wasn't as fast as her (plus I'm competitive and my usual self would see it as me sucking, not just that she's been running longer than me) But I did it, and did my best pace so far. Ive been getting faster, but of course theyre always faster than me, but it definitely helps get your ass out of bed when you know someone else is getting up at the butt crack of dawn with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Urgh. Running. Me likes the swimming better - zero impact and less chance of becoming dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete